Monday, January 2, 2012

Already in BBQ mode

So I am already in heightened BBQ mode.  Getting to go down to Florida for the holidays and seeing BBQ joints everywhere started it all.  Then I was so wonderfully surprised with a cooking class in New ORleans of all places.  When I returned on the day beore Christmas Eve, I miiediately felt the need to wip up something with a roux base.  I decided to make mini crawfish pies as an experiment to use as an additional appetizer for this years BBQ.  They came out great, and although I over buttered the pyloo dough (can you even do that?), I loved them. 

I have also began looking at super sized custom smokers.  This is a big change form the gas fired GOSM that I use, but I feel like it's the next level of competency that I need to conquer.  While looking at different smoker builds (because they really do come in all sizes), I also founs something called a cajun microwave. 

The cajun microwave is basically a wood box that is used to cook a whole pig.  Between me and my very talented brother, I caould definitely build one of these.  Therefore, it is only logical to have the desire to cook a whole pig (like 80 lbs) this year.

SO I write this in the desire that you will all see that I am totally crazy, but good food will follow.  I would post more pics about what is in my mind right now, but I am exhauseted after a long holiday season.  More to come in the next week.   

No comments:

Post a Comment